POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu package puts components in non-standard places? : Re: Ubuntu package puts components in non-standard places? Server Time
13 Jun 2024 11:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubuntu package puts components in non-standard places?
From: jgentry
Date: 21 Nov 2007 00:13:27
Message: <4743be77$1@news.povray.org>
Larry Hudson wrote:

 > -<snip stuff>-
 >
> I just used the standard Linux version direct from povray.org, and it
> seems to work fine.  (Although I have to confess that I haven't used
> Ubuntu or POV-ray all that much.  I usually run Fedora, but I like to
> "dabble" with other distros, and POV-ray is usually the first thing I
> install.  And my testing was limited to rendering a few of the standard
> samples in the scenes directory.)
>
> One minor hint...
>
> Uncompressing the install .tgz file creates a temporary install
> directory (povray-3.6).  After you run the install script from there (as
> root) you can delete this directory because all the files are copied to
> their proper final locations.  However, my hint is, before deleting
> these local (temporary) files, copy (or move) the scenes directory to
> someplace in your home directory.  This makes them available with you as
> the owner and you can play with them or modify them all you want.  The
> "real" scenes belong to root so you can't use them as readily.  (Located
> at:  /usr/local/share/povray-3.6    At least, that's where it is in
> Fedora, and I'm too lazy to reboot to Ubuntu right now to double check
> if it's the same, but it probably is.)  OTOH, this hint is somewhat
> redundant, because you can copy the scenes directly from /usr/... at any
> time.  I simply find it more convenient to do it at the time it's
> installed.
>
> However, I don't know anything about megapov in Ubuntu, I only have it
> installed in Fedora and Windows.  But, other than trying it out to
> varify that it's working, I haven't really used it at all in either of
> those OS's.
>
>      -=- Larry -=-

I've found that just about everything (just about) works in Fedora.  And
well, too.  I've got to second you on the install package:  no muss, no
fuss, and it just works in Fedora.

Fedora 8 didn't work for me, however, so I'm expressing my displeasure
by going over to the Ubuntu camp for 6 months.

Compiling the package in 7.10 has given very satisfactory results and
I'm very happy with the performance.  I haven't tried MegaPov.

-->Jeff