POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu package puts components in non-standard places? : Re: Ubuntu package puts components in non-standard places? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 02:40:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubuntu package puts components in non-standard places?
From: jgentry
Date: 20 Nov 2007 12:47:15
Message: <47431da3$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On a feisty kubuntu box which has installed:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/graphics/povray-3.6
>
> I cannot get megapov to ./install.  Jaime thought perhaps if this isn't working,
> that kubuntu's povray might be installing files in non-standard places.
>
> Could the maintainer do something differently?  Short of me compiling something,
> are there any simple tricks for getting it going on my kubuntu box?

I tried to use the povray version from the repos a few ubuntu versions
ago.  While it did /work/, it was a bit problematic and the preview
display while the work was rendering simply filled with '.' if I
remember correctly.

If you d/l the source code and compile it, things seem to work much
better.  Plus, a simple 'make uninstall' will always clean things up if
something still doesn't work for you.

-->Jeff