POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Slime's povcomp tree on Hospital magazine : Re: Slime's povcomp tree on Hospital magazine Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slime's povcomp tree on Hospital magazine
From: Warp
Date: 19 Nov 2007 18:08:08
Message: <47421758$1@news.povray.org>
Cousin Ricky wrote:
> Slime must *explicitly*
> place the work into the public domain.

  From my experience even lawyers specialized in copyright issues seem
to disagree on whether it's possible for the author to remove copyright
from a work just by declaring so. Some lawyers say it is possible,
others say the law has no such concept.

  If I were to release something to completely unrestricted usage I
would not trust that just saying "this is PD" is enough. I would use an
explicit license. (For software the MIT license would be good for this,
for example.) Then there would be absolutely no controversy possible.