POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : False obstinance in linux installer? : Re: False obstinance in linux installer? Server Time
28 Apr 2024 00:09:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: False obstinance in linux installer?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 12 Nov 2007 03:27:16
Message: <47380e64$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

>> There is no official POV-Ray 3.6 installed on this computer.
>
> Okay, I guess I"m using the ubuntu repository version rather than the one
> from the povray site.  It is much more advisable to get it with a package
> installer than to roll your own, unless you know what you're doing.  After
> several years of linux tinkering, I still don't.

Greg, it's not that difficult nor dangerous to compile your own executable,
at least with POV-Ray. I do it for all my computers since version 3.5. In
fact I think that I never downloaded the binaries for 3.6, just the sources.

Casually, I just changed from Fedora Core 6 to Ubuntu 7.10, and I just
restored /usr/local/src/povray-3.6.1 from the backup, then made a "make
clean" just in case, and then compiled it with:

   ./configure COMPILED_BY="Your name and address" --disable-io-restrictions

Just remember to install first the basic developer packages, and make sure
to install libX11-devel or you will not get a display...

--
Jaime