POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Skies (3 of n) : Re: Skies (3 of n) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skies (3 of n)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Nov 2007 08:07:15
Message: <47345b83@news.povray.org>
"Bruno Cabasson" <bru### [at] alcatelaleniaspacefr> schreef in bericht
> Here is an illustration for atmosphere, considering pure atmosphere. The
> only
> changing parameter is the elevation of the sun (simple looks_like white
> sphere
> at the moment).
>
> You can obtain different colors (including reddening/decay) by tweaking
> some
> parameters like the color of the scattered blue (rgb <0.25, 0.65, 1>
> here), the
> power of the sun, and parameters controlling the density function
> (basically:
> exp(-k*h/T), k=mult.factor, h=height at the given point, T=constant
> thickness
> of atmo). You can also add absorption, but I prefer leave that to cloud
> layers.
>
> The camera is at 2m above the ground. When you put it higher, you get a
> deeper
> blue automatically because there is less gaz above you: the blue is less
> scattered and the blackness of deep space contibutes more.

Excellent! That looks very intuitive to use. For skies I usually like to use
LightSysIV, but there the problem is that I do not really understand the
background and the correct way to change things. Your method seems really
simple for the end-user. I suppose that, given the correct parameters, you
could simulate a Martian sundown for instance as easily as a terrestrial
one.

Thomas