POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Full area lighting in next beta : Re: Full area lighting in next beta Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Full area lighting in next beta
From: Warp
Date: 6 Nov 2007 19:56:58
Message: <47310d5a@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Perhaps I'm wrong, but the typical color mapping that is found in most
> renderers seems to be a much more simple thing and to belong to the "global
> operators" class described in the Wikipedia article. It's even implemented
> in free renderers like Indigo and Kerkythea, so I tend to assume that the
> basics are well known to CG programmers. In any case, the exposure control
> from Megapov would be a good start already.

  I'm wondering that you mentioned tone mapping in relation to area lights,
yet from what I see it's not related to area lights at all, but it's simply
a post-processing step, in practice a function from unclamped pixel values
(of the final rendered image) to clamped ones.

  Post-processing in POV-Ray is such a beast that I really don't want to
get my hands dirty on it. It's something for pov4.

--
                                                          - Warp