POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Skip-a-ray SDL raytracer : Re: Skip-a-ray SDL raytracer Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skip-a-ray SDL raytracer
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 3 Nov 2007 02:11:08
Message: <472c1f0c$1@news.povray.org>
Le 25.10.2007 23:04, Zeger Knaepen nous fit lire :
> "Grassblade" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
>> I used the SDL raytracer found in the help file
>> (http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/123/) to refine an idea
>> more or less suggested by Bruno Cabasson.
>> Top picture skips a ray if (square of) distance in colour-space is smaller
>> than an user supplied threshold.
>> Middle pic is the result of the unadulterated SDL raytracer.
>> Bottom pic is the difference of the two.
>> The supplied Skip-a-ray pic requires about 65-70% of the time to render.
>

> is this a similar technique as used here:
> http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~wwieser/render/povray/patches/prt-patch/ ?

Looks interesting... good idea, wrong patching.
It should have been an additional quality trace level instead of
replacing antialiasing.
The Vista buffer is an issue too.

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.