POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Random Comic Sci-Fi Building Generator : Re: Random Comic Sci-Fi Building Generator Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:14:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random Comic Sci-Fi Building Generator
From: Alain
Date: 20 Oct 2007 13:55:18
Message: <471a4106$1@news.povray.org>
Kirk Andrews nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/20 08:42:
> Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
>> Kirk Andrews wrote:
>>> since you asked, it's just a simple macro with a lathe object.  The
>>> points on the spline are randomized.  The real trick is the texture--the
>>> macro picks one of 5 images to use for a texture_map, which creates the
>>> various patterns of windows.
>> Overall, it looks very sci-fi to me, and I specially like the glass domes,
>> but perhaps they are to whitish? I will do these more transparent but also
>> more reflective.
>>
>> It's curious how I used a very very similar approach when I first tried this
>> some years ago... :) In fact, when I've seen your image, for a moment I had
>> a strange feeling of "deja vu".
>>
>> Now, I'm not very imaginative for this kind of scenes, but I can pass to you
>> the advice given to me by a real architect: not even in the future the
>> cities will be that regular and homogeneous. That is, you need much more
>> variety in the building shapes and heights... and that's why I abandoned my
>> "sci-fi city" project: too much planning for a lazy like me. I'm attaching
>> the final render before giving up, as perhaps it can give you some ideas...
>>
>> --
>> Jaime
>
> Nice render!
>
> You're certainly right that it is still far too homogeneous, and that is the
> challenge, of course (although it seems my artistic theme lately has been
> "monotony").  The next step would be to start writing macros that make
> different kinds of buildings (like squarish ones) and incorporating them
> (perhaps someone else would like to contribute some macros to the object
> compilation??).  Also, all of these buildings are about the same average
> diameter.  One would need some buildings that were considerably larger than
> others. After that would be layout.  Perhaps future cities are not arranged
> on a grid?  Perhaps they are arranged in series of tangent circles of
> various sizes?
>
> For Yadgar:
>
> Actually, these images do not use radiosity.  I'm just using a dim,
> purplish, shadowless light opposite my primary light source.
>
> I have posted one version of the macro in s-f, but I am still working on it
> so I will probably post newer versions later.
>
> -- Kirk
>
> Latest render:

As the future city would have evolved from a contemporary one, throw in some
"classic" buildings: square ones, relatively low compared to the tall circular ones.
Add some LARGE variation in hight: the newer ones are probably taller than the
older ones. Higher buildings been shinier than lower ones.

--
Alain
Feel good?  Don't worry; you'll get over it!