POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Random Comic Sci-Fi Building Generator : Re: Random Comic Sci-Fi Building Generator Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random Comic Sci-Fi Building Generator
From: Alain
Date: 19 Oct 2007 22:07:15
Message: <471962d3$1@news.povray.org>
Kirk Andrews nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/19 21:57:
>> One thing that could be done to give more "deepth" to the windows: Instead of
>> using white for them, use transparent! Then, add an other instance of the tower
>> inside the first one, slightly scaled down around it's axis. Give that iner
>> element a high ambient. Using white of gray can be enough, but you can also use
>> any pattern you like or some image_map.
>> Now, if you do a night scene, you use radiosity, the windows will actualy shine
>> and illuminate the neigoring towers.
>>
>> --
>> Alain
>
> I understand what you're saying--but after thinking about it, I don't think
> it will have any different result.  The windows are already using ambient.
> Now, if I make the windows transparent, but put a layer behind it that is
> fully ambient, no one could tell that it was any different than the way it
> is now.  Am I thinking about this correctly?

The difference, is that using patterns or iamge_map, two instances of the same
windows layout will look different depending on that inner pattern. This can
make things more interesting. 5 outer textures and 5 inner patterns randomly
rotated/translated could generate 1000000's of combinations. Think of the cells
pattern randomly translated and wraped around the axis.

--
Alain
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.