POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : modeled from a desk. industrial design rights? : Re: modeled from a desk. industrial design rights? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: modeled from a desk. industrial design rights?
From: William Tracy
Date: 17 Oct 2007 22:35:07
Message: <4716c65b$1@news.povray.org>
Charles C wrote:
> I could be wrong but I have a feeling manufacturers
> of scale model airplanes don't get permission from the manufacturers of
> the real ones.

They most certainly do. For example, all the major military airplanes
from WWII on are copyrighted by their manufacturers. You will get in BIG
trouble for making and selling toys of those planes without a license.
In fact, certain military contractors make almost as much off of
licensing toys as they do off the government. 8-|

(Interesting detour here: In Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost
Arc, the filmmakers went out of their way to make their German plane not
look anything like any real planes, so they wouldn't have to pay royalties.)

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt that you're going to get into trouble
over your desk. It's not particularly distinctive, and you're
(presumably) not going to use any of the manufacturer's trademarked
names along with this thing ("office desk" is very different from "P-51
Mustang fighter aircraft").

If you're going to sell images based off this thing, though, it probably
is prudent to play on the safe side. Tweak the design to look distinctly
different, or get some written permission from the manufacturer.

--
William Tracy
afi### [at] gmailcom -- wtr### [at] calpolyedu

You know you've been raytracing too long when your POV-Ray manual is on
the same shelf with your Bible (or Koran, or Torah).