POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : modeled from a desk. industrial design rights? : Re: modeled from a desk. industrial design rights? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:13:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: modeled from a desk. industrial design rights?
From: Charles C
Date: 17 Oct 2007 21:38:27
Message: <4716b913@news.povray.org>
Steve, Chris, Sabrina, DLM,
Thanks for the well thought out responses!

It's really easy to change dimensions on this model since almost all
dimensions are parameterized and/or/sometimes related to other
dimensions. Of course it could end up looking a little funny. See
attached.  :-)

The real desk is one that somebody used at a former employer of mine.
During breaks I'd go around measuring things to feed my POV enthusiasm
at home.* This desk seemed like a nice target since it lends itself well
to primitive based modeling.  Years later I saw a slightly updated (they
changed the drawer handle, and reduced the radius on the drawer bevels)
version of this desk in a store.  I couldn't believe I was looking at
somethig so ordinary and plain yet obscure and familiar to me.  The new
handle was probably anodized aluminum in an arc shape with a radius
which gets thicker in the middle... i.e. a shere sweep and 2 cylinders
that hold it to the drawer-face.

I think almost all of this desk is partical board. - It has a noticable
seam in the very-thin lamination just above the bevel on the top.   The
style of the drawer faces with those top/bottom round bevels seems like
something I've seen on any number of cabinets...

I've found the manufacturer.  I guess they still make this desk and even
a wood-grain version of it.  Now I'm trying to figure out if it'd be
worth contacting them and if that would make things sticky for no
reason.  I doubt if they have anybody there who's been asked this kind
of question before.  I could be wrong but I have a feeling manufacturers
of scale model airplanes don't get permission from the manufacturers of
the real ones.

Charles

*...and because things got re-arranged there *so* often that I thought
'what if I made a 3D model of this place to make it easier?'.

PS  Currently I have the text "Desk design is presumed copyright of the
manufacturer.  Model is copyrighted by me." at the top of the file.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'a messed up desk.jpg' (58 KB)

Preview of image 'a messed up desk.jpg'