POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : modeled from a desk. industrial design rights? : Re: modeled from a desk. industrial design rights? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: modeled from a desk. industrial design rights?
From: dlm
Date: 17 Oct 2007 17:44:03
Message: <47168223$1@news.povray.org>
I don't think a render of a design is any more of an issue than a photo of
the real thing.

I believe the law is there to protect the rights of the designer, so you do
not want to distribute a model which involves description of materials,
detailed dimensions, plans... in short the wherewithal to reproduce the item
in question.
So is a model a design?

This desk appears utilitarian and remarkably unadorned.
The only obvious distinguishing feature is the front edge bevel. Is it a
moulding? Is the surface a PVC laminate or paintwork on particle board or
steel? These things would be the stuff of design, and your model is probably
not a CAD model with material specifications so much as a surface shell.

So my non-expert opinion is publish your model with attribution to your
sources and disclaim any intent to infringe the design rights (if any) of
the manufacturer, but don't publish a design.
Perhaps a comment in the model file will suffice. And claim copyright to the
model to limit any possible downstream misuse. Imagine the 'made in
Shanghai' Charles C. desk.

DLM