POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : modeled from a desk. industrial design rights? : Re: modeled from a desk. industrial design rights? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: modeled from a desk. industrial design rights?
From: Chris B
Date: 17 Oct 2007 07:48:59
Message: <4715f6ab$1@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:4715e1e9$1@news.povray.org...

> "Charles C" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
>> Anybody?   Did I ask a bad question?
>
>      No, not at all Charles. My take on it is that I wouldn't want to pass
> on something that is 'exact' in dimension to the original. So I would
> probably make the drawers wider/narrower, or just have a deep file drawer
> to the left, or maybe just a cupboard to the left and no drawers.
>
>     ~Steve~

Hi Charles,

I agree with Steve, it's not a bad question, but I think we're a bit short
of lawyers on this newsgroup. Maybe law, art and mathematics isn't a popular
combination at college.

Myself I'm not a lawyer and, in general, this sort of law can get pretty
complicated. In addition to protection afforded to manufacturers/designers
under industrial design rights (which I hadn't read about before) there are
copyright laws and patents to consider (all of which can also vary from
country to country). On the other hand, I believe that, although things get
more complex with products that have highly distinct/unique characteristics,
they can be less complex with a more commonplace object like this sort of
desk.

The basic layout of this desk doesn't seem to me to have anything
particularly unique about it and I suspect that anything sufficiently
different from the products of other manufacturers (to be covered by these
laws) may well be mechanical rather than predominantly visual in nature.
With ornate furniture you could run into problems if you copied intricate
and unique decorative designs or another unique style attribute, but I
suspect you're on safer ground with something relatively commonplace that
doesn't have many unique characteristics.

You should look at your desk (the real one) and see whether there's anything
that looks particularly unique that could potentially be covered by design
rights and avoid duplicating that (any unique bevels/profiles, trademarks,
logos, uniquely designed fixtures etc). I also agree with Steve that it
depends how exact you've been in copying the dimensions, colours and
textures etc. and it may be wise to make sure that they're not identical to
the original, so that your design is as distinct as would be the design of
another manufacturer of similar desks (though you'll find that many
dimensions are pretty well standard anyway).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris B.