POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta updates : Re: Beta updates Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta updates
From: andrel
Date: 16 Oct 2007 17:48:04
Message: <47153299.2010806@hotmail.com>
Chris Cason wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> I don't understand what you mean. Access is all by batch, a gui on that
>> machine is out of the question.
>
> if you mean 'gui' as in 'interactive access', yes I understand that -
> however there must be a staging system where cross-compilation or otherwise
> preparation of binaries are done. specifically, the ability to be able to
> run tests (even if by batch) and recompile the binary to see where
> optimizations may be made would be handy - though of course there is the
> issue that probably installation of such binary would have to be done by an
> admin (I presume).

The system apparently runs linux and there is another much simpler
system with 4 processors or so that is used for testing and compilation.
If it all works you place the job in a batch and when enough resources
become available the jub is run on the big machine. The good news is
that my collague has enough time on the machine and good enough contacts
with the sysadmins that compiling POV on that machine and running a
benchmark may be possible. Especially if we can find a good enough
explanation why it would be useful for our research. ;)