POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : idea for betas expiration : Re: idea for betas expiration Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:13:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: idea for betas expiration
From: Rick Sterling
Date: 13 Oct 2007 11:10:29
Message: <4710dfe5$1@news.povray.org>
As a Pov-Ray user of many years ago I was delighted to find the project
still alive and well. I went to download the current beta and found it
not there. As I have a dual core machine I really wanted to get an idea
of how the new code performs. I fully understand the need to keep the
beta process under control, but ...

How about adding code to the beta for the bug reporting. When the beta
expires you would no longer be able to submit bugs with that version.
Also after expiration the program would fire up a nag screen at startup
with whatever message the developers desire. You could also include a
"final expiration" to prevent the use of the code after some extended
time. As an alternative you could require all bug reports to include a
key from the beta program. After expiration the key would become invalid
and bug report process would reject those reports.

Rick