POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Discussion wasn't in vain " : Re: "Discussion wasn't in vain " Server Time
30 Apr 2024 06:07:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Discussion wasn't in vain "
From: Chris B
Date: 12 Oct 2007 09:30:08
Message: <470f76e0@news.povray.org>
news:470f6d08@news.povray.org...
> Chris B <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote:
>> At the moment only administrators can edit stuff once it's been
>> submitted.
>> If you post one in povray.binaries.images we can copy that up for you.
>
>  What I did was to submit a "new version" with the proper image files.
> I hope that's not a bad solution.

No. That's fine too, and I see you've used a small increment in the version
number, which is good as it makes it clear that it's a minor change.
I've suspended the older versions so that only the latest one shows up on
the search.

>  It would be really nice if the submitter could modify his submission
> afterwards (eg. to add, remove or perhaps even rename files).

The reason for not being generally able to change anything without adjusting
the version number is that otherwise, anyone who has already downloaded the
object would not necessarily be able to detect that it had changed since
they received their copy.

There are however a couple of situations where it could be reasonable to
change things without updating the version number:
One is if you notice something pretty well straight away before anyone has
downloaded it. The other is where it has no material effect on the way the
contribution works (e.g. the Thumbnail image, the Description, Keywords and
Category classification). You happened to hit both at once :-). At present,
both need to be handled by the administrators. It may be possible to permit
some post-submission modifications by the contributor in the future with the
server checking that either no-one has downloaded it or that it's only a
meta-data change.  I'll add it to the list of things to think about.

>  It could also be helpful if the submission page would warn that the
> submission has no valid thumbnail and/or larger image. This would be
> especially helpful for first-time users (like me :) ).

That should be doable. I'll look at doing that.

Regards,
Chris B.