POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta updates : Re: Beta updates Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta updates
From: Warp
Date: 11 Oct 2007 16:22:36
Message: <470e860b@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Because I did not understand his remark "tho a shell prompt would be
> even nicer <grin>" and said so. Why would one wants a shell prompt for
> POV?

  POV-Ray (at least the unix version) can be run from a shell prompt in
a text terminal. It does not need a windowing system nor any support for
graphics. (In fact, that's how POV-Ray was originally designed to work,
and still does. The GUI in the Windows and Mac versions are just add-ons
added much later.)

  I'm pretty sure that he half-seriously asked if he would be granted
an account with a shell prompt in that computer so that he could log in
and run povray himself.

> (thinking about it a few days later, I think he meant he did not want
> *POV* on a prompt, he wanted access to the beast for *himself*).

  I think that what he wanted is to be able to log in into the computer
and run povray himself, which would be the easiest way to run many tests.
(Of course he was probably not asking it seriously because granting
accounts in such supercomputers is not something done lightly.)

> If you understood that immediately, you might have told me, in stead you
> choose to address me like I am a 12 year old with no computer experience
> at all, which IMHO makes you look a bit stupid. ;)

  It just looked a lot like you had some kind of confusion between shell
prompts and graphical user interfaces...

--
                                                          - Warp