POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta updates : Re: Beta updates Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta updates
From: scott
Date: 10 Oct 2007 06:06:11
Message: <470ca413@news.povray.org>
>> Agreed. I'm not testing the beta with real project
>
>  So because the beta has an expiration date you can't render a "real
> project" with it to test that it works? That makes a whole lot of sense.
>
>  All this "I can't use it continuously so I won't use it at all" is the
> silliest thing I have heard in a long time. It just doesn't make any
> sense.
>
>  It's not like 3.6 and 3.7 were mutually exclusive and couldn't be located
> in the same system. This is just silly.

I have both 3.6 and 3.7, but frankly I just cannot be bothered to use 3.7
for anything.  In the past whenever I went to use it and got the date error
it was just so much inconvenience that I ran 3.6 instead.

IMO the binary should work as normal until the expiration date.  After that
date when you load it it should check for a newer version on the website.
If a newer version exists it should refuse to run and offer the option to
download and update itself automatically.

If a newer version does not exist (or the POV server is not reachable), it
should simply show a warning box for minimum 5 seconds (or whatever) saying
that this is an old beta and not to post any bugs etc.

As for the "if we didn't have the time limit we'd get loads of bug reports
for old versions", surely you just ignore (either automatically somehow or
with your brain) any bug reports that are with people using older versions?