POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Welcome : Re: Welcome Server Time
26 Apr 2024 00:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Welcome
From: Chris B
Date: 9 Oct 2007 09:32:09
Message: <470b82d9$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gil### [at] agroparistechfr> wrote in message

> news: 470b46cb$1@news.povray.org...
>> Welcome to the povray.object-collection newsgroup. This newsgroup has
>> been set up to support discussions about the POV-Ray Object Collection
>> web site which is now live at http://lib.povray.org. The web site stores
>> POV-Ray and Moray objects contributed by the community under the Creative
>> Commons LGPL license to allow royalty free use, modification and
>> redistribution.
>
> Is the LGPL the only license accepted? All that I have is already under CC
> By Attribution (which I find more suitable for artwork), and, in one case,
> under public domain.
>
> G.

Hi Gilles,

All work contributed to this collection will be distributed under a single
consistent license which, at present, is the CC-LGPL (which does not mandate
attribution). This is intended to ease the burden on people using works from
the collection. If someone uses a number of objects from the collection in a
scene it means they won't have to keep track of all the different licenses
or the chain of authors who may have enhanced each object through the years.

Anyone contributing to the collection needs to confirm on the submissions
form that they're ok with this license and with any future licenses that the
collection could be distributed under. This is because, as licenses
continuously evolve, it may be necessary to select a new one for the
collection in the future and it can be difficult or impossible to track down
authors and request their consent to a licensing change once a few years
have passed.

Licensing provoked quite a bit of discussion when ideas for this collection
were first mooted about a year ago and attibution was one of the difficult
topics. Clearly the decision to go with the CC-LGPL may deter some people
from contributing because someone could use their work without giving them
any credit for it at all (although POV-Ray users are generally quite polite
in my experience).  However, I hope there will be enough contributions to
make this work. One argument from the discussion last year was that this
collection should be for objects, textures, etc rather than highly finished
downloadable scenes, so I'm hoping that reuse without attribution might be
less problematic.

Although I'm not a legal expert I believe that work can be distributed by
the owner under multiple licenses and conditions. I believe that anything
you've done that is already in the public domain could also be distributed
under the CC-LGPL. The site allows you to incorporate comments or
documentation alongside the contribution in which you can clarify that it's
in the public domain or that it's also available under other licenses. If
there are elements of your work currently licensed under CC-Attribution that
you wished to also make available on this site under CC-LGPL,  then I think
you can do so (and they'd certainly be very much appreciated :o)).

Regards,
Chris B.