POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Toon shading with POV SDL : Re: Another model Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:13:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another model
From: FlyerX
Date: 9 Oct 2007 01:41:32
Message: <470b148c$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> FlyerX wrote:
>
>> Looks very nice and clean.
>
> Thank you.
>
>> I would be grateful if you share the technique for the
>> shading.
>
> Someone will guess soon.
>
>> Is is similar to the OpenGL trick to show mesh edges?
>
> I don't know anything about OpenGL, so I couldn't tell you.
>
>> In PoseRay I made the POV-Ray cartoon effect by playing with
>> the finish of the material
>
> With as many different shades?
> I don't know PoseRay. Does it have surface shaders like POV-Man?
>
>  -Shay

The OpenGL trick is just to draw the back-facing triangles with thick
edges. In this way at any point where the mesh is turning away from view
a thick line will show. The effect is rather easy to do and involves
just a few flag changes.

PoseRay (http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/) is a program I wrote to
convert 3D meshes in other formats to POV-Ray scenes. One of its options
is to create a cartoon effect by modifying the finish in the material.
Right now it only uses one or two levels (user option).

later,

FlyerX