POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV4 outline : Re: POV4 outline Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV4 outline
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 5 Oct 2007 12:33:08
Message: <47066744$1@news.povray.org>
Le 05.10.2007 02:05, Bruno Cabasson nous fit lire :

> That's the reason why I focus my posts on the WHAT, rather than HOW. That's
> the reason why I would like people to suggest some fragments of POV4 code
> as they envision. This will force us to formalize the ideas that were
> stated in the whole discussion so far. By confronting and assembling the
> pieces of the puzzle, something can emerge.

just make me think of a huge kitchen, full of apprentices, cooking
whatever they can put their hands on.
A decent meal might emerge... or not.
Would it be a vegeterian meal ?
A kosher meal ?
An hallal meal ?
A festive meal ?
A diabetic meal ?
A memorable meal ?

Is mixing tomato with almond a good idea ? Salmon & Beef in the same
plate ?
Duck in pasta ?

>>In a business full of CEO, nothing is made as there is no workers.
>> And all workers without a common direction are just wasting their
efforts.

> This is a bottom-up approach for preliminary specifications (a bit like
> SADT), for grossly outline the problem. In parallel, we can have a top-down
> pass and think hierarchical. For that I posted earlier something about
> modules and higher level control statements which will embody the rest of
> the syntax, and proposed a syntax for it.

Gluing together the back of a horse and of an awk does not make a
pegasus.
The design-by-committee is not that far away. But it's not the worst
anti-pattern active for the time being for povray 4.

> However, by posting the schema involving Java as an intermediate language
> for POV4, and as an available/reliable/envisionnable solution, I tried to
> address the 'HOW' (a little).

Yep, you get your hands on some sugar, rice, eggs, salmon and cheese.
I'm not sure it will give an edible meal for the big guys in the
dining room.

For the time being, jumping in the 4.0 madness is not the thing to
do. If you have some spare energy, I would recommend joining the 3.7
testing group. The sooner 3.7 is out, the sooner you will be able to
push again for that 4. And the more tested 3.7 is before final, the
better!

And in the meantime, you can always orders the quality criteria from
my previous post, and try to get a consensus on your order.

(the people next to you just get their hands on some anchovies...
and some chili sauce...)
--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.