POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta updates : Re: Beta updates Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta updates
From: andrel
Date: 4 Oct 2007 18:10:32
Message: <470565D9.5010602@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:
> dkanter <dka### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Second, would
>> the developers consider removing the date checking in betas?  I understand
>> the rationale behind it, but it seems like a very user-unfriendly feature,
>
>   It would be more user-unfriendly to have 25 different betas around
> during the next 5 years, causing tons of useless bug reports and bad
> publicity.

There have been several proposals to solve that.
- After expiration have a splash screen at startup, that tells the user
that it has expired and that they should not post bug reports anymore
nor distribute it.
- Compile several beta versions, one with the standard 1 month
expiration. One with 1 month and a week, to be posted when the team is
not able to generate a new version before expiration, but thinks one
week should be enough. One with 2 months etc.
- ...

As I said before, I am *not* going to use the beta until this problem is
solved. I am probably not the only one, so you are loosing a number of
dedicated beta testers this way. I do appreciate all the work you are
putting into this, but I just have to wait for a stable release :( .