POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV4 outline : Re: POV4 outline Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV4 outline
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 4 Oct 2007 16:42:37
Message: <4705503d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 04.10.2007 21:48, Bruno Cabasson nous fit lire :
> If we want this new SDL, we have to collect and mix ideas, try to extract
> what can be kept, and mature all this in order to get something acceptable.
> The sooner we begin, the better.
>
> Are there people here that know about development processes, software
> industry know-how, or whatsoever? Their advise could be useful.

Ok... I am. And I'm opening my big mouth now.
And, IMHO, everybody is going mad about the "new" SDL without
thinking about the basic architecture or defining the quality
criteria they should first have for such a project.

Allow me an image, that just looks like a group of teenagers ready
for a party: everybody is playing "I have a bigger one than you..."
game, trying to push its own way into the group without even
listening. Things might go fine, for a moment. But when trouble
happens, and it always happens, there would be nobody left to assume
the mess.

Or, if you want another picture: The CEO just get excited by the new
website technology, the flashy colours, the scrolling text around
the screen, and the so lovely puppies jumping at the bottom, chasing
the mouse pointer. He wants one too!
He does not know about its own internal business, he is the CEO, but
he wants one.
He does not know about the data-organisation, but he wants that kind
of site.
He does not which kind of resource would be needed, but he wants a
cute site.
The website is the future, no discussion, even for the business of
the CEO, which is just making nails!

Enthusiasm is a great thing. But it's dangerous.
You need to plan and design carefully your target, so that it will
cost you only twice as scheduled.
If you do not plan, you will take curves, and it will cost you a
minimal of PI instead... if you ever reach a stable target (you do
not choose it in such case).

So, what about ordering your prioriities first, using iso 9126 for
instance:
How would you order the following list ?

Functionality
Reliability
Usability
Efficiency
Maintainability
Portability

Beware, that ordering would be used later to arbitrate any decision
should a conflict occurs between them (and there is always some
conflicts, as you can not have all of them without infinite budget &
time. So, ponders wisely your decision, it is very important: do you
want to save the pregnant-mother or the soon-to-be-baby ? there is
no time for both, and it's all your choice! On one hand, it's your
wife, on the other hand, it's your blood and path to immortality...)

The ISO9126 is more detailled, spliting each lines into subgroup,
but that is just a starter.

Last question: Who is Linus Torvald here ? Just think about it for a
moment, I'm afraid we have far too more candidats and no clean
vision at all. In a business full of CEO, nothing is made as there
is no workers. That's fine for government, but not when the
objective is to produce some real value.
And all workers without a common direction are just wasting their
efforts.

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.