POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC entry revisited : IRTC entry revisited Server Time
8 Sep 2024 12:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  IRTC entry revisited
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 4 Oct 2007 07:40:38
Message: <4704d136@news.povray.org>
I've been playing with my IRTC entry from last year (the one that's
still on the IRTC home page!), with an end to putting a poster of it on
Zazzle. This will take some time, because I suspect it should be R-rated
in deference to Zazzle's slightly OTT content guidelines and, as I
previously mentioned, there is an issue with UK credit cards for age
validation at the moment.

However, I'm happy with the image itself, so I thought I'd post a
reduced version here. It differs from the original in several ways.
Firstly, I've completely changed the lighting. Radiosity is still used,
but only to deepen the shadows; the light is now cast be two crossed
area_lights roughly the same size as the ghost. This has the effect of
making everything much smoother, and does away with the lighting
artifacts. Secondly, and slightly more trivially, I've added some
objects in the room to provide a more detailed scene.

My only real issue is the photons used on the glasses and bottles in the
corner (see detail image). It looks better with than without, but
doesn't quite look like the ghost is causing them, despite using the
area_light keyword in the light source's photons block.

Anyway, hope y'all like the images.

Bill

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'irtc_absence.jpg' (90 KB) Download 'gl_detail03.jpg' (70 KB) Download 'gl_detail02.jpg' (64 KB) Download 'gl_detail01.jpg' (70 KB)

Preview of image 'irtc_absence.jpg'
irtc_absence.jpg

Preview of image 'gl_detail03.jpg'
gl_detail03.jpg