POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : intersection tests : Re: intersection tests Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: intersection tests
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 28 Sep 2007 10:54:14
Message: <46fd1596@news.povray.org>
Le 28.09.2007 14:38, honnza nous fit lire :

> maybe you could marching squares to get outlines of the objects being
> rendered and then only intersect the objects before the seen one.
> You can also predict multiple subsequent levels.
> As this will already trace most of the pixels you don't have to retrace
> those (except for AA).
> BTW, implementing marching squares also increases quality of AA because it
> misses less subpixel lines (should pixels found to be wrongly antialiased
> be retraced if they are a bit of (under-antialiased)?)
> Still, I think most of the time is spent not figuring out whether there is
> an intersection but where is it (think of parametric surfaces).

1. Marching cube is patented... aims lawyers, get set, fire!
 (Did it expires yet ?)
2. You are describing bounding box somehow. No need for marching cube.
3. You're right, you'd better spend time on optimising the
parametric solver than that part.

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.