POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blocks and media : Re: Blocks and media Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blocks and media
From: Alain
Date: 23 Sep 2007 11:19:05
Message: <46f683e9$1@news.povray.org>
bob@127.0.0.1 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/09/20 16:02:
> On 2007-09-20, scam <sca### [at] mailusydeduau> wrote:
>> Just working on some glowing buttons for a web page.
>>
> 	Ooooo, Pretty!  :)
>
>> And since I have your attention, anyone seen any web pages where the entire
>> page (buttons, menus, background) has been generated in a ray tracer and
>> then combined with html? Not sure if it's a good idea or not.
>>
> 	Bad idea because it means heinous load times ... unless you've got
> cable or are browsing the web from work.

Not realy.
The background should be keep relatively simple with relatively low contrast,
thi lead to a beter compression when using PNG or JPG. It can even be an
animated GIF or MNG, keep the animation very sober and simple ;)
Re-use your elements as much as possible: if a simgle element is shown 10 times,
it's only loaded once.
Place all your graphics and CSS sheets together, in the same folder exept for
those that only show on a single page. For any given image that show on more
than one page, if it was loaded in a previous page, it will be reloaded from the
cache, not the server. This will save you storage space and bandwidth, while
making your site easier and faster to maintain and navigate.
Don't use Front Page, it will place a copy of every image and CSS sheets in
every page's folder, forcing them to reload from the server for every page
visited, wasting space, precious bandwidth and visitors time.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when a co-worker nearly kills himself