POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Boss (372k jpg) : Re: Boss (372k jpg) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:28:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boss (372k jpg)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 12 Sep 2007 19:30:53
Message: <46e876ad@news.povray.org>
William Tracy wrote:
> I'm on Linux, and have doodled with InkScape before, though not enough
> to really learn it. (I'm still lost when it comes to anything more
> complicated than geometric shapes...)

Splines are easy to use, once you get used to them. I used Macromedia
Freehand (which is like Illustrator or InkScape) almost exclusively for
three years with one company. It didn't take me nearly that long to
master it. After awhile, it became like a third hand to me :)

> I keep daydreaming about starting some kind of webcomic "one of these
> days."

Lol. I still need to write a tutorial "one of these days" !

> (I have too many programming projects going on, as it is.) I
> really like the idea of being able to build a 3D model and render it
> from different angles, as opposed to re-drawing it again for each scene,
> hence the lazy bit. :-)
>
> So, I keep watching the different macros that people come up with for
> toon-shading in POV.

Do you know about "smooth-shifting"? I don't know what it's called in
programs other than LightWave Modeler, but basically it shifts the
outside of the mesh in or out by a given value. For example a torus
could be made into either a thin ring or a very fat donut. The reason I
mention this is because an extra copy of a smooth-shifted mesh could be
used effectively for a cartoon outline of the actual thing. I hope to
eventually post an image showing that.

Sam