POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu?? : Re: Ubuntu?? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:32:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubuntu??
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 6 Sep 2007 20:56:48
Message: <46e0a1d0$1@news.povray.org>
David J Bush wrote:
>>Hola,
>>
>>Has anyone had any experience with Ubuntu's version of Linux?
>

> This post was a while ago, but FWIW POVray 3.5 is available as an Ubuntu
> package. I got mine off of a DVD collection, but it should be in most
> repositories, under graphics/multiverse or multiverse/graphics.
>
> 3.5 is missing some cool textures like cork, but it should generally be
> fine.

The standard (generic Linux, not Ubuntu specific) 3.6 version works fine
for me.  Download it directly from povray.org.

Although, I can only say that I've installed it and rendered some of the
standard examples from the scenes directory, I haven't (yet) run it
extensively under Ubuntu.  (I mostly use Fedora, but I like to fiddle
with other distros, and POV-Ray is usually the first thing I install.)

      -=-Larry -=-