POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bored : Re: Bored Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bored
From: Alain
Date: 29 Aug 2007 20:05:40
Message: <46d609d4$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/08/29 17:40:
>> Hmm, electroplating with Ni in a Watts bath needs a temperature of about
>> 60-70ºC... I don't know about Cr. That would probably melt polystyrene,
>> never mind dissolve. I agree about the orange juice though. :)
>
> I saw a guy being interviewed on a car show who chromes
> restored plastic, even glued together bits. He paints it with
> some sort of expensive silver paint, then electro-plates with
> copper, then nickel, then chrome.  I think the copper may
> help dissipate the heat.

The copper holds well on the silver paint, but nether the nickel nor the chrome
will. The copper plating is to thin to help protect from the heat.
Then the nickel makes an exellent bond with the copper, while the chrome will
peel from it.
Then the chrome will perfectly fuse onto the nickel. Also, the nickel makes an
harder, more resilient, substrate.
You go from "soft" (the plastic) to prety hard (nickel then chrome).

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you downloaded and printed the