POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : topaz (84k jpg) : Re: topaz (84k jpg) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: topaz (84k jpg)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Aug 2007 03:32:47
Message: <46cd381f$1@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] THIShotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Hi everyone,
>
> I discovered a way to accurately depict minerals with POV-Ray. I found a
> demo version of a program called KrystalShaper
> (http://www.jcrystal.com/products/krystalshaper/) which allows one to
> view various crystal morphologies for different minerals. The demo
> version does not allow you to save or export, but you can view the
> Miller indices (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_index) of a
> crystal's faces, and determine the angle between them.
>
> Using the angles acquired from the program, I made an intersection of
> planes to create the crystal. It would not be too difficult to randomize
> the result to make unique, natural-looking specimens.
>
> The render itself is nothing amazing, but the possibilities represented
> by it are exciting!
>
> Questions and comments, welcome as always!
>
> Sam

This render is really beautiful! I'll keep a copy in my private depository
of 'Beautiful images'.

Miller indices, yes... it's coming slowly back now. I used to have a
'Wulff's net' to analyse crystal shapes
http://euromin.w3sites.net/Nouveau_site/histoire/dates/pic_hist/wulff11.htm
and we used the Miller indices to place the normals of the faces on this 3D
projection...

Thomas