POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : topaz (84k jpg) : Re: topaz (84k jpg) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: topaz (84k jpg)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 22 Aug 2007 15:33:32
Message: <46cc8f8c@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Nice image, all the nicer for the colour bleeding!

Thanks!

> Surely the Miller indices define the crystal planes,

Yes....

> so you can use them
> directly to define your intersection planes (i.e., no knowledge of angles
> required)?

No. I wish that were true, because it would make everything much easier.
Now, it *might* be true for cubic crystal systems, but I have to check
on that. For hexagonal systems that theory just doesn't hold.

Look at the attached image. If we were talking just straight normals
here, the numbers would be decimals or very large integers. Instead, we
have angles represented by three small integers, ranging between -1 and
1 (they can be higher, I've seen them as high as 6).

I don't understand how the Miller indices work, but I know it has to do
with how molecules in the crystal are offset from one another. The
Wikipedia article just confused me, as I have no formal training in
higher mathematics.

If you have a way to calculate the normals for single faces (not the
angle between two faces), by all means, let me know! Otherwise, I'm off
to try the answer via Google....

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: