POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Metal & Flowers WIP? 5 - with new colors! : Re: Metal & Flowers WIP? 5 - with new colors! Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:27:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metal & Flowers WIP? 5 - with new colors!
From: Rune
Date: 19 Aug 2007 12:33:57
Message: <46c870f5@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Rune wrote:
>> What do you think?
>>
> That it, apart from aesthetics, would depend on things I don't know.
> One is the printing process.

I have yet to investigate the printing process for the posters for myself. I
plan to have them made locally (by which I mean in this country), but after
that I plan to put the designs on Zazzle. I also don't know the printing
process on Zazzle...

> My experiences with blueish backgrounds using professional CMYK
> printers are not good. None of my book covers that have shades of
> blue are any near the color that I specified.

Worse than with private CMYK printers? Because in my own print tests all the
background colors I've tried have matched beautifully in the first try.

> The other big question is the wall you will be hanging it on.

White walls. (Or off-white or whatever it's called that means that it's not
completely sterile white, but it looks white none the less.)

> If the background color differs too much from the wall color, the first
> impression would be the composition of the frames and not what is in it.

Well, since this composition is part of the "art", that isn't completely
undesired, but of course it should preferably be balanced.

> I assumed that you were going for a white background
> because you had a white wall. If the wall color is not white, using
> the same color as a background immediately suggests that the picture
> was designed specific for that wall. That would give the whole thing
> another level. It might also lead to more people saying 'oh, can you
> do something for me too?' If that is a good thing or not depends on
> how you plan the rest of your career.

White wall or not, I'm not sure I agree that the posters should preferably
be the same color as the wall. Part of the reason to put up images on the
wall in the first place is to break the big plain surface IMO. If they
should deviate little, some or much from the color of the wall is a matter
of how strong an effect is desired. I agree though, that the more difference
there's between the wall and main poster color, the stronger and more
contrasted the motive must be to still shine through and make impact.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com