POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Eavesdropping - new WIP (~130kB) : Re: Eavesdropping - new WIP (~130kB) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eavesdropping - new WIP (~130kB)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Aug 2007 03:02:07
Message: <46c3f66f$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> schreef in bericht

> I like the idea of having a little in joke that is unobtrusive. The
> problem
> here is, any image will be looked at critically with respect to the
> poster,
> yours, amongst others more than most. (Your own fault for being so good
> :-)

Hm hm hm... I shall refrain from posting from now on..... :-)
Well, there is nothing wrong with a good bunch of criticism. Over the years
that has helped me a lot, sometimes by just discarding it as nonsense   :-)
In the end, one has to make one's own choices.
The idea of a little joke embedded in the image is always at the back of my
mind. Sometimes it is functional, sometimes not. In this case, I believe it
can add an interesting item: the observer is confronted to different story
lines, one as a neutral observer, one as a participant into the main drama
plot, one as an actor in the juvenile side story. Others may come to mind I
am sure. That is left to the observer.

> It's interesting that FlyerX suggested M_Glass3 I've just been maxing the
> PoseRay transparency.
To a question I asked him about the transparency issue with the eyes (Apollo
Maximus), FlyerX answered as follows
<quote>
In my opinion the iris for this model should not have any highlight. All the
surface gloss should come from the cornea and EyeWhite materials. If the
cornea is set to material{M_Glass3} and the iris set to black highlight you
should get a better result. See attached image. You can go into the POV-Ray
material tab and add the Glass3 material to the cornea. PoseRay will send
that material to POV-Ray at render time. For Victoria 2 models I also use
M_Glass3 as the eyeball material that covers the eye and gives much better
results that any Poser related material.
<unquote>

> Anti aliasing is something I've been experimenting with recently, trying
> get the fastest acceptable value for an animation. I'm having fun.
I suppose that for an animation you can get away with a coarser anti
aliasing?

> I'm looking forward to the next version.
Wait and see :-) May take some time now because I am going to render with
radiosity...

Thomas