POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Eavesdropping - new WIP (~130kB) : Re: Eavesdropping - new WIP (~130kB) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eavesdropping - new WIP (~130kB)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Aug 2007 04:17:37
Message: <46c013a1$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>

>> I followed the Greek guideline that says that a column, to be appealing
>> to the eye, should not be a simple cone shape but bulge a tiny bit out at
>> the middle. I acchieved this by using a vertically very elongated sphere,
>> cut at the middle (i.e. the base of the column) and at the place where
>> the top should be. You have to experiment with the vertical elongation
>> until you have both bottom and top diameters correctly. An easy way to do
>> this is to first make a proxy model in Moray to get the measurements
>> needed.
>
> Yes, my approach too.  I saw somewhere on the web that Roman columns have
> more of a middle bulge but Greek have a curved taper but the base is the
> thickest.  No idea if they knew what they were talking about.
> http://www.uen.org/Centennial/08BuildingsA.html
Yes, the entasis (I forgot the name). I followed the Greek method.
Interestingly, I have a paper describing the 'blueprints' used by the Greek
in constructing the Apollo temple at Didyma in Turkey. They scratched the
plans on the walls or the floor under construction and took their
measurements from there. After completion, walls and floors were polished
and the scratchings removed. Thanks to the fact that the Apollo temple was
never finished, the blueprints survived.
In the same temple can be seen that they first built the columns and only
afterwards carved the flutes. The following French site gives some fair
examples of the ruins.
http://jfbradu.free.fr/GRECEANTIQUE/turquie/didymes/didymes-bas.htm

Thomas