POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Eavesdropping - new WIP (~130kB) : Re: Eavesdropping - new WIP (~130kB) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:09:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eavesdropping - new WIP (~130kB)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Aug 2007 04:00:31
Message: <46c00f9f@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht
[...]
> The obvious advantage of mesh it is that the polys match the contour of
> the surface so that a vertical line of polys could be used to shape a
> flute which would diminish in size appropriately. So now I an curious as
> to why you used the boolean approach.

I woke up this night with the sudden thought that I only used the boolean
approach with the Moray proxy. I remember now (It has been about 4 years ago
and I should have taken notes) that I modelled the flutes by moving the
appropriate faces inwards from the surface of the mesh shaft and
handcrafting the top and bottom. As you say, there are serious problems with
the boolean approach where the size of the flutes is concerned.
I think now that an easier workflow would be to slice a pie section from a
featureless shaft, exactly covering one flute width and twice the half rib
widths; to craft the flute and finally to apply a rotational sweep to
restore the complete shaft.

>> If you want to follow the classical rules, number and form of the flutes
>> are fixed, but that is another discussion entirely.
>
> I would be intereseted if you have any references.  Right now I am using
> 18 flutes, so a 20 degree rotation.
24 seems to have been the general use in antiquity, at least in the
classical period. However, older columns could have up to 48 flutes. Ribs
were sharp during the Doric Order period, but flat (with deeper flutes)
later.

>> Once you have the shaft modelled to your satisfaction, you can model
>> separately the different elements that form the base of the column, and
>> the top. The top part is particularly challenging because of the
>> distinctive capitals. I have not attempted the Corynthian order!! The
>> Ionian order is already difficult enough. I used a background image as a
>> proxy for modelling that particular spiral shape.
>
> Yeah, I'll give that a wait.  Actually for my purposes I can diverge from
> the strictly classical and indulge myself with my own caprices as well as
> any 19th century neoclassical architect
Great! :-)
That makes it a bit easier. My (calculated) handicap was that I wanted to
reconstruct the real thing. I had to make concessions of course.

>> I won't speak now about corner columns!!! They have their own challenges
>> in the way to model the capitals.
>
> Hasn't come since it is a circular collonade but will remember that when
> tempted to do the other.
No problem then indeed.

>> The result is shown in this low resolution image when I finished building
>> the complete temple.
>
> Very nice.  I am also impresses with the texture in 'Eavesdropping',
> which, if you are using mesh, must be a perturbed normal?
Yes, that is right.

Thomas