POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : sphere_sweep artifacts in 3.7 : Re: sphere_sweep artifacts in 3.7 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep artifacts in 3.7
From: Chris Cason
Date: 12 Aug 2007 17:59:38
Message: <46bf82ca$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Well, whatever. If you don't want to see the problem fixed, then don't.

Massimo has the idea that he won't contribute anything to POV because he
feels we should be GPL'd or something similar ... of course, his attitude
is only holding up such a transition. He has privately told me that he
disagrees with our current licensing; you may also note he withdrew from
assisting us in the private testing group some time back.

Massimo: how about you put your money where your mouth is? ... suppose we
said to you "here is the 3.7 codebase; these are the parts that can be
OSS'd, and these are the parts that have to be cut out and re-written. Make
a 4.0 framework containing the open-source-able code with the rest stubbed
out. Put all your contributions under the GPL3 and we'll do the same."

If you *really* want to see a GPL'd 4.0 then you'll do it. Since at the
moment lack of manpower is the only issue holding us back from doing
exactly that. Internally we are comfortable with the GPL3. We wish to
create a 4.0 framework that contains as much of the existing code as we can
bring across and then open it up to the public to assist in filling in the
code that has to be re-written.

-- Chris