POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : That cross, close up. : Re: That cross (attachment - 40.5kb jpg) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:07:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That cross (attachment - 40.5kb jpg)
From: St
Date: 12 Aug 2007 14:59:24
Message: <46bf588c@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> St. wrote:
>>         Hey Sam, first of all, that is fantastic!
>
> Thanks! I found a magic rotation number for dodecahedrons: 31.7.
> Accurate enough for stuff like this.

     Ok, I'll remember that.  :)

>> But, I couldn't figure out how to use your code with the Wings method
>> that I use. So I came up with a different version that I've been working
>> on continuously. Please see the attached and let me know what you think.
>
> Why wouldn't it work with Wings models? I usually have to "find and
> replace" all the texture instances in my imported mesh objects. A second
> option is to edit the texture file itself. I use PoseRay.

    Well, it would work with Wings models, I know this, but I'm embarrassed
to say that don't know 'how'. I mean, how would I put,

     #declare golden = <1.0, 0.8, 0.4>;

    in the PoseRay materials file when there is already a #declare,
<pigment - whatever>, declared, so to speek?

> That design is fantastic! It would make the perfect wedding ring for my
> girlfriend. It resembles vines and berries, both of which carry
> signifigance for her.

     Then you have met the right jeweller Sam.   :)

> That bracelet is even better yet. It looks more golden that the ring for
> some reason.

       Yes, I can't figure that out either...

>>        Secondly, (and it should have been first), I'm *so sorry* that I
>> haven't replied any sooner, and I really appreciate your advice. I think
>> you know that. I don't mean to be rude in not replying, it's just that
>> I've had some serious home problems lately although it may not look like
>> it by myself posting around the groups recently.
>>
>>    Heck, you know what I mean.
>
> I couldn't possibly know exactly what you are going through, but I've
> been through some nasty sh!t myself. You can always e-mail me if you
> need someone to talk to. We could even chat on ICQ, meebo, or whatever.

    I'll email...

>>>Well, It's hard work finding the gold, and I haven't found too much. I'm
>>>not out there every day though, panning the creeks and traversing
>>>treacherous mines. I live too far up the hill, and all the placer
>>>deposits seem to occur below 1500-200 feet elevation. I live at 4500'+.
>
>>       If there are any big rocks in the stream/river, dig deep *in front*
>> of the rocks. It's those rocks that stop the big nuggets.  ;)
>>       Try to use a fishing 'Bait Pump' too, very useful. Fill some
>> buckets, and take them home to siv.  ;)
>
> That's how my uncle found a pennyweight's worth of gold one summer. In
> front of large rocks, with a turkey baster to vaccum the sediments. (he
> later melted it all down into an ingot, left it to cool on a concrete
> floor and then stepped on it, burning a nasty circle into his foot)

     Argh! Not good. 'Black Heat' is still *very* hot. Hope he's ok...
Really.

> The creek I pan in is right in town. It would be a disturbace of the
> peace to use a pump or dredge right there in town. A turkey baster is
> inexpensive and quiet. :)
>
> Funny, I had a dream about gold last night. It was off-yellow...
> practially white.  It formed wire bundles. Pretty neat.

      Oh, that would be 9ct White gold then... Yes, when polished, it looks
white, but when it gets to its natural patina, it will have a good tint of
yellow.

> I'll have to get myself some jewelry-making materials here pretty soon.
> A friend of mine sent a large amount of gems my way recently.
> Touramline, topaz, kunzite (sp?), *beatiful*, clear labradorite, amber,
> cut gems with minor flaws (citrine, amethyst, something resembling
> zoistite), and more. All in return for some website work. Soooo, if you
> want to trade materials.... give me a write.

    Yes, sure, email on its way soon Sam.

> Again, nice jewelry work!

       Thank you.

      ~Steve~