POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Flower and Metal WIP3 : Re: Flower and Metal WIP3 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:08:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flower and Metal WIP3
From: Ger
Date: 30 Jul 2007 16:38:01
Message: <46ae4c28@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:

>> I do have a little iffi about how the metal looks. If it's new it's
>> more shiny, if it's old it's looks more "gritty". The welds suggest
>> it's aluminum and then the surface should be a duller gray-ish gritty
>> surface.
>
> Hmm. It's been difficult for me to find good reference images of metal up
> very close. I'm definitely going for "new". How do you mean that new metal
> is more shiny? Overall, I'm satisfied with the metal myself though at this
> point.

Because of the shape I would say it's extruded aluminum. Have a look at
these pics. They sorta show the shinyness I was talking about.

Search for "aluminum extrustions"

http://216.183.126.109:443/mfgq_live/uploads/profiles/Samples2_126923.jpg
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11853617/Aluminum_Extrusion_Profiles.jpg

Because of the extrusion process this kind of aluminum has a "brushed" look
to it.

>> Just one thing in the composition that bugs me is the free hanging
>> piece of metal in the lower left picture. All the others seem to
>> sprout from the bottom except for that one bit.
>
> As indicated in other posts, it's not hanging. I've changed the piece so
> that this is a bit more clear to see.

I found the other post clarifying it

--
Ger