POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Flower and Metal WIP3 : Re: Flower and Metal WIP3 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flower and Metal WIP3
From: Ger
Date: 29 Jul 2007 01:06:58
Message: <46ac2071@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:

> Just an update.
>
> I got the normals issue on the stem fixed (related to my post about
> "problem with normals and stretched uv maps") and I've dropped using
> subsurface scattering.
>
> After putting in a drop shadow on the background I've been playing around
> with the stem color and found, surprisingly, that I prefer the stems
> non-transparent and colored after all. The saturated brown creates a nice
> contrast to the gray shades and doesn't hog all the focus the way I had
> thought.
>
> I've attached both the top image at 100dpi and an image with the overall
> composition of the 6 images.
>
> I need to fix a few things still. One major question I haven't decided on
> yet is - should the stems have some kind of leaves here and there...?
>
> Rune

I love the overall composition, really well done.
Having been a professional welder, those welds look stunningly real.
I do have a little iffi about how the metal looks. If it's new it's more
shiny, if it's old it's looks more "gritty". The welds suggest it's
aluminum and then the surface should be a duller gray-ish gritty surface.
The flowers...DNTA (Do Not Touch Anymore) simply brilliant.
Not to sure about how the stems look.
Just one thing in the composition that bugs me is the free hanging piece of
metal in the lower left picture. All the others seem to sprout from the
bottom except for that one bit.
--
Ger