POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Flower and Metal WIP2 : Re: Flower and Metal WIP2 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flower and Metal WIP2
From: Alain
Date: 27 Jul 2007 16:56:28
Message: <46aa5bfc$1@news.povray.org>
Rune nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/07/27 15:05:
> I've been improving the image the last month. This one is rendered in what
> will correspond to 100dpi. If I can get posters printed at 200 or 300dpi
> I'll render it at a higher resolution.
>
> I changed the metal texture a lot and also its shape and welding. Does it
> look right now?
>
> I've worked on the stem too but I'm not satisfied with it. It looks like
> it's made of metal, which is not the intention. It should look like a real
> stem, only in black and white. It might help to just turn down the specular,
> but there's also something odd about the small bumps that I can't figure
> out. Maybe it needs a higher accuracy setting?
>
> I tried to use subsurface scattering (sss) for the pistil and stamens but it
> is behaving oddly. It creates bright pixels near the edge of the object, and
> it also seem that blobs with sss look brigher than sphere_sweep with sss for
> some reason. The bright end of the pistil is a blob while the rest is a
> (straigt for now) sphere_sweep. I'm considering just dropping sss when it
> creates so much trouble.
>
> All comments, feedback and suggestions are welcome!
>
> Rune

The weld look very good to me.
I loke the look of the reinforcing rings on the girder's holes. It's as if they
where stamped or riveted in place.
The stem looks somewhat metalic when in front of the white background, not when
there is something visible trough the transparence. Maybe adding some refraction
with an ior around that of water: ior 4/3

For the sss, maybe having a fade_color with a short fade_distance could help.
Does using strum help?

--
Alain
EVERYTHING HAS A GENDER

You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender...

An Hourglass is Female, because over time, the weight shifts to the bottom.