POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Eavesdropping - final [~110kB] : Re: Eavesdropping - final [~110kB] Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eavesdropping - final [~110kB]
From: andrel
Date: 31 Aug 2007 14:12:54
Message: <46D85B23.1000405@hotmail.com>
Shay wrote:
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
>>> Shay:
>>> The kids take away from it, IMO, but a very nice picture.
>
>> Well, it is a matter of taste I think. Personally, I do like
>> them there.
>
> Yes, a matter of taste. For the purpose of discussion, I'll expand just
> a bit on my tastes and what I mean by "take away from it."
>
> I have a problem with most big-budget films. A massive audience is
> required to make back the money spent on these films. This massive
> audience is too often built by designing big-budget films to attract
> several disparate groups. Therefore, where a small independent film
> might be about a Iskander's discovery of a valuable piece of
> information, the big budget counterpart would be about Iskander's
> discovery of a valuable piece of information; a crusty-but-benign police
> lieutenant who's always getting heat from the commissioner; a
> hard-nosed, hard-drinking detective who thinks women belong in the
> kitchen; the brilliant and beautiful young girl cop who's fighting the
> feminist battle on the force; a hair raising boat chase; and two "gosh
> darn kids" who foil an evil plot against Iskander.
>
> Looking at your picture, I am intensely interested in what information
> Iskander is hearing and to what use he will put it. I know the kids are
> part of the story and dread the point at which the plot will shift away
> to their role in events.

Interesting, I didn't assume that the kids would be part of the story.
For me their presence enhances the sense or naturality. Without them it
would be a stealth meeting at a time when nobody else is there or at a
deserted place, and someone spying in the first degree. With them it is
just some scene in a busy harbour and someone, possibly even
accidentally, listening in.

> For the same reason, I can't watch a movie like
> "Braveheart" or "The Patriot" more than once - too uneven in tone. Some
> love these types of laugh-cry-cheer-sigh epic movies. Yes, a matter of
> taste.
>
>  -Shay

BTW, Thomas I like this scene with all its attention to details. I
didn't respond earlier because I though I had nothing to add to the
others. Now it is the 'final' one I should perhaps express my appreciation.