POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Metal & Flowers WIP? 5 - with new colors! : Re: Metal & Flowers WIP? 5 - with new colors! Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metal & Flowers WIP? 5 - with new colors!
From: andrel
Date: 19 Aug 2007 06:48:03
Message: <46C820DD.2050708@hotmail.com>
Rune wrote:
> Okay, so I've finally gotten all the details to a level where I'm satisfied
> with it. (You wouldn't believe how many tweaks I've made since the last
> version I posted, that probably no one else than me even notices...) Making
> test-prints with my printer have made me aware of issues with things than
> don't work as well on print as on the screen, because nuances in colors and
> luminance is lost once printed. To deal with that, contrast of certain
> textures have been enhanced, which looks better on the screen too as a
> bonus.
>
> Anyway, I've splitted the image into several layers, and once the background
> layer was separate, it suddenly got temptingly easy to play around with
> it... In my head the background was always just white, but after having seen
> some of the possible alternatives, I'm suddenly not sure I prefer white
> anymore. I don't know which version I want to have printed!
>
> What to do, what to do...
>
> What do you think?

That it, apart from aesthetics, would depend on things I don't know.
One is the printing process. If it is an inkjet like technique, the
black is probably not good. It costs a lot of ink and the paper might
become so soaking wet that it deforms.  OTOH black works well for book
covers and single pictures, it really makes color stand out, much more
than on screen. But, you are losing shadows and hence depth. My
experiences with blueish backgrounds using professional CMYK printers
are not good. None of my book covers that have shades of blue are any
near the color that I specified.

The other big question is the wall you will be hanging it on. If the
background color differs too much from the wall color, the first
impression would be the composition of the frames and not what is in it.
That is why I think e.g. the black version won't work, in close up
possibly, but not for your composition with 6 different frames from 5
meters away. I assumed that you were going for a white background
because you had a white wall. If the wall color is not white, using the
same color as a background immediately suggests that the picture was
designed specific for that wall. That would give the whole thing another
level. It might also lead to more people saying 'oh, can you do
something for me too?' If that is a good thing or not depends on how you
plan the rest of your career.