POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : just for fun (132kb jpg) : Re: just for fun (132kb jpg) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: just for fun (132kb jpg)
From: Rune
Date: 16 Jul 2007 06:31:18
Message: <469b48f6$1@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This idea came about earlier, while I was drawing with and ink. The
> technique isn't new, but I can't remember who originated it.
> Basically, it involves a sphere with high transmittance placed around
> the camera. The textures are gradients. They are turned into lines
> under the influence of the contrast-inducing sphere mentioned
> beforehand.
>
> Rendered in a single pass. Sized and framed with the Gimp. Questions
> and comments are always welcome!

Ooh, that looks nice! Even knowing the technique, I can't quite figure out
how the image must look before the contrast enhancement.

The technique is demonstrated in the POV-Ray demo files
\scenes\textures\pigments\transmitfx.pov and scenes\advanced\bwstripe.pov

Unfortunately, since POV-Ray 3.6, when using really high contrast, the
effects looks aliased even if antialias is used. This is because of the
controversial decision to make POV-Ray do clipping *after* antialiasing
rather than before. In POV-Ray 3.5 it looked perfect. However, you can
always render at a higher resolution and scale down.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com