POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My first image! : Re: My first image! Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My first image!
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 13 Jul 2007 01:48:10
Message: <4697121a@news.povray.org>
High!

Bill Pragnell schrieb:

> Luckily my own first image was way back in 1992ish, almost certainly lost
> forever in the murky depths of an ancient Acorn ST506 hard disc with
> physical sectors so large you could almost read it by hand with a bar
> magnet. The chances of it surfacing here are small. :-)

What raytracer did you use back then? Hard to imagine that DKB-Trace was
available for this machine...

My very first PoV-Ray image (and also my first raytraced image at all)
was generated in October 1995, when I finally managed to get PoV-Ray 2.2
  working on my 80486 40DX... it was nothing special or artistic, not
even a RSOCP, just a flat box floating in black space, carrying a
upright standing cylinder and a concave bezier prism, all generated with
Moray 1.3 and using dull simple textures.

Of course it is long lost after countless system crashes... from this
early stage, only one image (attached here) has survived until now, and
only because I printed it on the color laser printer in Cologne
University computing center, so that I could scan it later.

It shows a crude 8-bit heightfield rendering of a portion of the
Spinghar mountains in eastern Afghanistan - incidentally, not far from
the Tora Bora area. Back in 1996, I did it from a scanned 1:250000
topographical map out of the "Historical and Political Gazetteer of
Afghanistan"... so, it is the earliest document of Khyberspace!

See you there!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '1996 spinghar mountains (yadgar).jpg' (137 KB)

Preview of image '1996 spinghar mountains (yadgar).jpg'
1996 spinghar mountains (yadgar).jpg