POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ambient occlusion experiment : Re: Ambient occlusion experiment Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ambient occlusion experiment
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 12 Jul 2007 07:46:25
Message: <46961491$1@news.povray.org>

web.468ea5ce94b248557d55e4a40@news.povray.org...

> Apart from cleverer image-space sampling, damn them, I notice that many
> other AO implementations allow you to set a maximum search distance beyond
> which an AO object will not respond to other objects. Do you use this
> feature?

Definitely. There are other AO features to consider, basically those that
help to control the spread (linear, exponential...) and contrast of the
"shadowing". Again, keep in mind that when one uses AO as a (per object)
shader, these features are quite mandatory. For instance, AO with a small
spread and search distance (and low sampling) will be used on small objects
(like a door handle) to give them a patina/dirt effect while AO with a
larger spread and search distance will be used for walls to get proper
corner shadowing and smooth/hide the radiosity artefacts that tend to crop
up in corners.

G.