POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another medieval structure : Re: Another medieval structure Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another medieval structure
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Jul 2007 09:54:28
Message: <468cf814$1@news.povray.org>
"RusHHouR" <gee### [at] mailnu> schreef in bericht
> Yes, I have some kind of love for 'em... :)
>
> This scene is perhaps a tavern or something like that.
>
> Since I never seem to improve my texture skills Ive gone cheater all the
> way
> and used image_maps in absurdum. And (dare I say? :/ ) focused on
> modelling.
>
> Looking at the roof right now... waiting for something brilliant to pop
> up.

I certainly like it. Looks like a fortified mansion. In the Middle Ages,
building in stone was reserved for the rich, so most buildings were made of
wood (hence the many fires; remember London in 1666). So, I believe this is
too expensive to be a tavern... but never mind :-)  These kind of buildings
(are you planning more?) could be great for the creation of some kind of
town... (oh... just thinking of the Discworld...)

Now for a couple of comments:
The use of image_maps is alright, but be aware that they should be in
balance with the structure and the people living there. The stones appear
alright at first glance, however I think they are a bit oversized if you
imagine a person in front; also in comparison with the size of door and
windows. The wood beam textures should certainly be scaled down. They appear
too large imo.
What Are you going to do for the roof? Slates? Tiles? Thatch?

Thomas