POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ambient occlusion experiment : Re: Ambient occlusion experiment Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ambient occlusion experiment
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 4 Jul 2007 12:47:07
Message: <468bcf0b$1@news.povray.org>

web.46894aed94b24855869b4c780@news.povray.org...

> 1) Ambient occlusion is so specific that you can almost say it has only
> one
> or two uses. It's not flexible. I might never use it very much. Can't
> really say the same about radiosity, which I use a lot.

In my experience, AO can be used in a stand alone fashion as a replacement
for radiosity and it can actually be good enough in some circumstances, but
usually it's too unrealistic and can have bizarre side effects. As you said,
it is very specific.

However, I find AO to be extremely handy and it would be a welcome addition
to the POV-Ray toolset. Particularly, AO is extremely useful when used with
radiosity. Typically, radiosity requires high sampling values to get
detailed shadows in corners: it's hard to fine tune and can be very slow
and/or memory consuming. When AO and radiosity are used together, AO can
work its magic in the corners so that it becomes possible to lower the
radiosity sampling = faster rendering. For instance, FinalRender has AO both
as a standalone shader and as a part of its GI system, where it's used as an
add-on to increase GI quality.

AO can be also used to create interesting texture effects, provided it can
be set per object with the abiliy to drive other
textures/materials/channels/shaders. One obvious use is cheap patinas.
Another creative use I've seen was the following : to create a fuzzy darker
stain on a surface without the hassle of defining a new texture layer or
editing a bitmap, just create a new polygon object of the desired shape,
make it invisible to anything but AO, and make it float above the surface to
generate the stain...

G.