POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Flower and Metal WIP1 : Re: Flower and Metal WIP1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flower and Metal WIP1
From: Rune
Date: 3 Jul 2007 07:30:53
Message: <468a336d$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Looks already impressive, Rune. A couple of thoughts that come to
> mind:
> I think that the transition between flower and stem should be gradual
> (organic>>inorganic) so the flower color should smoothly go into the
> metallic color. Not over a large distance, just so that it is
> noticeable (perhaps to the first bend).

I already tried that earlier over a large distance and it was distracting,
but now that you mention it, it may actually work quite well if just the
distance is very small. I'll try that out.

> I think that the welds you have already made are good. Perhaps on the
> sides too?

Yeah, I'll work on that.

> I am a bit troubled by the bumpy aspect of the metal though. This
> does not evoque metal to me. Perhaps you could try a brushed metal?
> Bumps like these make think of rust as a matter of fact.

Hmm. Brushing metal is something done intentionally to make it look nice,
right? I don't think that is done to girders (thanks Alain for pointing out
the word for them), which is what this is supposed to look like. Normally,
girders are made to support tructures, not to look nice. So I'm trying to
get a "new, but not polished" look. However, I'm not sure what that is,
exactly...

Rune
--
http://runevision.com