POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Flower and Metal WIP1 : Re: Flower and Metal WIP1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flower and Metal WIP1
From: Alain
Date: 1 Jul 2007 12:53:24
Message: <4687dc04$1@news.povray.org>
Rune nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/06/30 22:56:
> I'm working on a partially abstract image with a flower and some metal. It's
> part of a larger work that will consist of several images. So far I've been
> focusing on the overall structure, while not paying too much attention to
> the small details in the image.
>
> For this reason, some elements in the image look very crude. The flower is
> an exception - I have worked on the details here, but the stem and the metal
> are very simplistic. I could use some suggestions with that.
>
> A few notes about the image:
>
> - The flower is fictional. The flower itself is like a type of lily, but the
> stem is more like a vine, climbing objects.
Very nice, I regularly see real flowers remarcably similar to this one, exept
for the steem.

> - The stem will stay white (or gray) in the final image. The deep red color
> of the flower will be the only color in the image. The stem is also a bit
> transparent. I'm looking for extreme close-up reference images of stems...
>
> - The two parts of the metal are supposed to look like they're welded
> together. I don't really know how to do that.
The weld looks good to me, just bring the bumpy part on the sides to. Maybe
adding some light yellowish/brownish hue to the welds: real welds tend to have
some colouring.

> - The metal shape looks very crude to me, but I don't know what kind of
> details I can add to make it look more real. Note that the metal shouldn't
> look too old and worn - it's supposed to be somewhat shiny and new.
It looks like cast metal from a rough, mediocher, sand mold. If you go for shiny
and new, make it smoother, non-bumpy, but with more linear threaks. Girders are
normaly extruded, not cast.
The holes, if any, are then cut out and, optionaly, a reinforcing ring welded
in: you may want to add some welding bumps there to.

--
Alain
Save the whales. Collect the whole set.