POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 32-bit floating-point TIFF output : Re: 32-bit floating-point TIFF output Server Time
7 May 2024 20:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 32-bit floating-point TIFF output
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 30 Jun 2007 15:57:23
Message: <4686b5a3$1@news.povray.org>
Daniel Richard G. wrote:
> I'd like to think the library's been beaten into submission by this point,
> but yeah, TIFF as a format can be pretty baroque.

We had hoped so, too :-(

> Huh. I wasn't aware that the beta supported RGBE and OpenEXR---I'd looked at
> the documentation (sec. 3.1.2.4.1 "Output File Type"), not the ChangeLog.

The documentation hasn't really been updated.

> Okay, if you're putting in EXR support, then that pretty much ends the
> discussion :-)  OpenEXR makes so much more sense;

Yes :-)

> 1) Will POV-Ray 3.7 support writing EXR with 32-bit floats, in addition to
> 16-bit halfs?

We have full EXR support linked in, but I have to admit I haven't actually
developed that code, nor used it myself. I think currently it cannot be
controlled what is written to the output file - I think the default is used,
but I don't know what the defaults are.

> 2) How do you select EXR output in the beta? I thought the bundled
> documentation would have been updated to mention this; is there somewhere
> else I should be looking?

The new image format letter codes are E and H respectively.

> 3) Out of curiosity, is there any value in writing out all five of POV-Ray's
> color channels, using EXR's arbitrary-layer support?

I don't think so ... RGBA should contain all useful information. The
difference of filter and transmit is primarily useful internally when
rendering. Of course, it really depends if you want any "special effects".
Certainly someone could come up with an imaginative way to use such a
feature, be it useful or not ;-)

	Thorsten